Historical Marker Installed at Courthouse
A Nebraska historical marker was recently installed on the southeast corner of the Nemaha County Courthouse grounds. The Nemaha County Commissioners installed it.
The marker was an effort of the Nemaha County Development Alliance through the Nemaha County Lodging Tax Committee.
The Nemaha County seat was established at Brownville in 1855 by the first territorial legislature. There were attempts to move the county seat to a more central location. Brownville retained the county seat until an 1883 election approved its removal to Auburn. Auburn was formed in 1882 by the merger of the adjacent villages of Sheridan and Calvert. The first courthouse in Auburn was a frame structure at the present site. That soon proved inadequate. A series of elections culminated in 1899 with approval of $40,000 in bonds to build a new courthouse.
Also in 1899, the county commissioners accepted a design by Nebraska architect George A. Berlinghof. Construction then began. Stone used for the building was quarried about five miles west of Auburn. Brick came from a local brickyard. The cornerstone was laid May 25, 1900. The ceremony featured former Nebraska Gov. Robert W. Furnas. County officials moved into the new courthouse in December 1900.
The symmetrical building was executed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. It has two main entrances. The courthouse features corner towers, permanent materials, elaborate ornamentation, and reflects permanence and stability.
In 1990, the Nemaha County Courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.